History of St Thomas’
St. Thomas’ has stood as a place of worship, serving the community of Stanningley, since 1841. The church is a little unusual in that it does not have a central aisle but two side aisles, similar to a Methodist chapel, reflecting the Methodist influence in Leeds during the mid 19th century. The six stained glass windows are of typical Victorian craftsmanship, the most singular being on the south side, in memory of two young Sunday School teachers who were struck by lightning in 1869 and are buried in the Churchyard. More historical information can be found at www.calverley.info.